If you are applying for an LSBHI Home Inspection License, you must be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or GED and you will also be required to:
- Apply to the Louisiana State Police for a criminal background check, pay all costs associated therewith and submit the results to the board.
- Complete a minimum of 90 hours of education with an LSBHI approved Education Provider.
- Pass NHIE Exam
- Complete 30 hours of prelicensing platform training, as well as ten (10) live inspections with an approved in-field trainer
- Attend Report Writing Seminar given by LSBHI approved providers
- Obtain Insurance
- Apply with the LSBHI
1. Complete & Submit Background Check
- Bring the completed forms to the Louisiana State Police headquarters
- Mail the completed forms to the Louisiana State Police Headquarters with fingerprints and fee.
Fingerprinting is mandatory.
The criminal background report will be signed in blue ink and sealed. The SEALED background report must be submitted to the Louisiana State Board of Home Inspectors.
The background check will expire 365 days after the issue date. If the background check is expired, a new one will be requested prior to licensure.
All fees are subject to change and are payable to the Louisiana State Police by money order, cashiers check or business check. ($10.00 fingerprint fee; $26.00 processing fee) No personal checks are accepted!!
Louisiana State Police Headquarters
7919 Independence Blvd
Baton Rouge LA 70806
For questions call the Louisiana State Police Headquarters: 225-925-6095
2. Complete Initial 90 Hours of Training
If you are applying for an LSBHI Home Inspector License, you must go through a minimum of 90 hours of education with an LSBHI approved Education Provider.
LSBHI Approved Education Providers:
American Home Inspectors Training Institute
American Inspection Academy
ATI – Home Inspector Training
Burk Baker School of Real Estate
Carson Dunlop & Associates LTD.
Donaldson Educational Services LLC
Healthy Homes Home Inspection and Educational Services, LLC
Inspection Certification Associates
National Institute of Building Inspectors(NIBI)
National Property Inspections, Inc.
Pillar to Post Inc.
Precision School of Inspection – Gordon Atwell
Professional Home Inspection Institute
3. Pass NHIE Exam
The applicant must pass the National Home Inspectors Examination given by the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors (PSI Exam). The cost for the exam is $225. You are responsible for making arrangements to take the exam. For instructions on how to register for the exam please click here.
4. Complete In-Field Training
The Trainee must complete 30 hours of prelicensing platform training, as well as ten (10) live inspections with an approved in-field trainer.
LSBHI Approved In-Field Trainers:
Roy E Burst III
Jean Picou Jr.
5. Report Writing Seminars / Standards Practice Review
As of January 1, 2007, all license applicants MUST attend the Standards of Practice and Report Writing Seminar before a Home Inspector License will be issued. Visit the calendar on the website for a list of scheduled classes. If there are no scheduled classes please check back as the calendar is updated daily. https://lsbhi.state.la.us/calendar/
6. Obtain Insurance
Licensed inspectors must also carry a minimum of $300,000 per year in Errors & Omissions with a maximum deductible of $5,000 and a minimum of $300,000 per year of General Liability Coverage with a maximum deductible of $5,000. The applicant must provide the Louisiana State Board of Home Inspectors a copy of the Certificate of Insurance at the time of applying. The LSBHI must be listed as the certificate holder.
- Inspector Pro Insurance Program
- PCIC, RRG Home Inspector Program Fort Baker Insurance Agency
- RISKPRO- 866-900-7475 ext. 120
- Organization of Real Estate Professionals (OREP)
- First Indemnity Insurance
- All Pro Coverage
- Any insurance provider licensed to provide insurance in Louisiana is acceptable.
- Property Inspectors – ALIA Riverton Insurance Agency Corp. (aliains.com)
7. Apply with LSBHI
$200 Application Fee
This fee is non-refundable, even if you decide not to take the examination. Payable by check or money order only.
For every home inspection performed, you must remit to the LSBHI a $5 fee and must complete an Inspection Reporting Form at the end of each month with which to remit all fees due. As this $5 fee is a State mandated fee, this cost can be passed on to the client if you so choose, and you should inform the client of this.